Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Disorganized Organizer

Organizing the film festival has kept me incredibly busy, so I haven't posted in quite some time. I didn't even make it to the screenwriters group meetings in February or March (the March meeting is this Thursday, but I know there's no way I'll be able to break away and attend).



I've decided I'm OK with that. Even though I resolved to write every day this year I decided organizing the festival was going to count as my daily time toward that goal, so I haven't been writing anyway. After the festival next week I will go back to forcing myself to write on a daily basis.



Every time I tell someone I'm the festival organizer, I get asked what that means. So here are my duties in a nutshell. I arrange the hotel accommodations for all the filmmakers coming into town, including their transportation. I also work with all the filmmakers to get the correct versions of the film for screening at the festival, whether that's a 35mm print or a videotape of some kind, and I arrange for any promotional materials they can send, such as posters and flyers. I recruit volunteers to serve as ushers and help with marketing and promotion, and I schedule their volunteer shifts. I arrange a bunch of details with the theater in regards to the volunteers and their duties, and the film prints being stored there. I also have convinced shopkeepers all over the valley to let me hang posters advertising the festival in their windows.



The festival looks like it's going to be great. Here are some of the features we'll be showing.


You Did What?
Directed by Jeff Morris




Bon Appetit
Directed by Justin Lutsky




Last Stop For Paul
Directed by Neil Mandt




Cellar
Directed by Ben Hickernell




Ode
Directed by Gary Shore

No comments: