Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I Need A Vacation From My Vacation

When I left work the Friday before Christmas, I was filled with more than just the Christmas spirit.  We were closed down the whole week between Christmas and New Years, and I knew this was a great chance to get ahead of my screenwriting schedule.  Without the huge, daily time commitment of my job, I could spend the entire day turning the crank on the scene factory in my skull.  My productivity level would soar.  I might finish an entire draft.


I am back at work now, and can you guess how many words I added over the break?  Yep, you got it on the first guess.  Zero.  I didn't even keep up with the normal page-a-day commitment I stick to when my day job is in session.


My lack of progress was not the result of an overly busy holiday schedule.  The fourteen episodes of Lost I watched on DVD are more than enough evidence that I had some free time.


Lately, life seems to be screaming a principle in my direction, and I think it will keep beating me with the idea until my head absorbs the concept.


Structure.  Structure.  Structure.


The story has to have structure.  My life has to have structure.  I try to fight against following the rules.  After all, I'm artistic, right?


Puh-lease.


Without structure, my story wanders aimlessly and goes nowhere.  Why would I think my life would behave any differently?

No comments: