Monday, January 23, 2006

You're So Sundance




The 10-day party called Sundance has taken over Park City, Utah again. I spent the day pressing through the masses of people.


My favorite part about going to any festival is attending panels and forums, so today I saw a bit of a panel discussion with filmmakers from Iran, Palestine, Lebanon, and Egypt. I attended a gathering for festival organizers. I listened to a Q&A with the still very sexy Ally Sheedy. I met Jeff Wadlow and Beau Bauman, the director and producer of Cry Wolf.


Of course, they also show films at the festival, so at the end of the day I took in "Who Needs Sleep", a documentary about the film industry and the dangerously long hours demanded of film crews. As documentaries go, it wasn't the most perfectly executed. It made its point in the first few minutes, and then spent the rest of the time making the same point over again without much in the way of story structure. Still, I think every person involved in the film industry should see it because the point it raises is valid.

No comments: